One of my projects for the year was to make a table runner for myself. I like how they are like quilts, but in smaller and more manageable sizes. If I had all the supplies I could make a table runner in an afternoon as opposed to a quilt that takes me all eternity. When we were at the Sugar Pine Quilt Company back in February I picked up a kit for making a table runner.
I’ve been working on it slowly for a couple of weeks now. It required a lot of cutting, although most of the cutting was out of charm squares which made the cutting easier. I didn’t realize that the pattern had so many little pieces in it though. Keep my seam allowances even has proven to be a real challenge with this table runner. I’ve had to make use of the seam runner more than once to try and get things to line up properly.
The brown squares in the middle are my most obvious mistakes. The sizes are a little off from square to square, and some of them came out looking much more like rectangles than squares. That being said they are only obvious if you are going to stare at it and scrutinize it, but for the most part once I get this table runner finished it will sit on the table with my giant fruit bowl on top of it, so most of the flaws won’t even be noticeable!
I sat down with it last week determined to get it finished that day only to discover that the kit either didn’t come with backing or else I cut something that I shouldn’t have. I could probably piece something together to make the backing work, but I haven’t tried that yet. All that remains once I have the backing is to quilt it and bind it then I can cross this off of my project list too!