2013 could only be described as an indie alternative invasion on my iPhone. I’ve always had a varied taste in music, which can be gathered from this list. Many songs could make it on this list, and part of the reason these songs get so much play time is the simple fact that my iPhone has a “Top 25 Most Played” playlist which is usually where I go first when I’m looking for something to listen to. Rather surprisingly the vast majority of my 2013 Top 25 list are all songs from 2013, and less surprisingly is that the next 25 after this could just have easily made it to the top. When I love a song, I love it to death.
- Shake, Shake, Shake – Bronze Radio Return My best friend introduced me to Bronze Radio Return after hearing them on Songza.
- We Can’t Stop – Miley Cyrus I’m not even embarrassed to have this on here, and in the number 2 spot no less. My sister-in-law introduced me to this song this summer and it was on heavy repeat while I was in Calgary.
- Same Love – Macklemore & Ryan Lewis While I can pretend I know how to rap I really love Mary Lambert in this song.
- Chocolate – The 1975 The 1975 were listed on a Huffington Post 20 Artists to start Listening to in 2014 article, but this is the only song I’ve heard so far.
- Back Down South – Kings of Leon I’ve been a KOL fan for a few years, but my love for them grew after seeing them in concert in 2011. This song has been in heavy rotation ever since. I’m seeing KOL again this spring!
- All My Days – Alexi Murdoch I thank a Sprint commercial last fall for introducing this song to me. Oddly enough it originally appeared in the movie Away We Go, but had no impact on me until I heard it in the Spring commercial.
- Follow Your Arrow – Kasey Musgraves I love a good tongue in cheek song. Looking forward to seeing her in concert this spring with Lady Antebellum.
- Wild Country – Wake Owl My best friend heard this song on CBC Radio and I was hesitant to like it at first simply because I am always telling her that CBC Radio is lame. I gave in eventually and loved it, with Wake Owl also appearing in 20 Artists to start Listening to in 2014 and was on CBC Radio 2’s 2013 Number 1 Countdown. It’s good.
- Stay – Rihanna This made it onto my iPhone thanks to my cousin Lana sharing this video of some students using her classroom to record their cover of Stay for a district wide talent show. I couldn’t download the cover so the original would do.
- Closer – Tegan & Sara I saw Tegan and Sara before they were “big” when I was in university in a concert that could have fit in my house. Their sound has changed a lot since then and I don’t love the new pop Tegan and Sara, but I’m a fan of this song.
- Roar – Katy Perry During volleyball season we listened to this one a lot and the girls always joked about how this would be such an awesome song to play on the drive home if we ever won a game.
- You Feel The Same Way Too – The Rankin Family This is an oldie, but a friend got married this summer and her and her husband did all the music for their wedding and they went into the vault for this one. Heard it at the wedding and was reminded about how much I once loved The Rankin Family.
- Wake Me Up – Aviici This one just makes me want to dance!
- Here’s to Never Growing Up – Avril Lavigne Well this one I am embarrassed about!
- Into the Wild – LP LOVE this song. Another recommendation from my best friend. She makes recommendations like this and I get her to download songs like Wreck Ball by Miley Cyrus.
- Barton Hollow – The Civil Wars I tried really hard to like this entire album but none of the songs were as good as this one. From This Valley is comparable, and oddly enough on a compilation called Mercyland: Hymns for the Rest of Us.
- Springsteen – Eric Church As a country girl this song makes me want to take the back roads with the windows rolled down, which could be a song all of its own. Eric Church was one of my 2013 concerts.
- Bad – The Cab Another oldie, but still a song I love.
- Porchlight – Neko Case Another song recommended by my best friend. She knows how to pick songs that are fun to sing! I tried to give Neko Case a chance on the Hunger Games soundtrack, but just didn’t love her.
- Standing on the Edge – Cuff the Duke My best friend suggested I listen to this song on and off several times in 2012 after she saw Cuff the Duke at a folk fest in Ontario. I’m stubborn, but eventually gave it a listen, and then listened to it over and over!
- Sunshine – Court Yard Hounds This was a free download on iTunes and features one (or more?) of the girls from the Dixie Chicks.
- I’ve Just Seen a Face – Jim Sturgis This is from the Across the Universe soundtrack and it’s fun to crank up, plus he sings really fast and I can keep up!
- Gimme Sympathy – Metric This song increased in popularity after an acoustic version was performed when I saw them at Jazzfest in Saskatoon this summer!
- Awake My Soul – Mumford & Sons The list wouldn’t be complete without some good old folk music!
- Wagon Wheel – Old Crow Medicine Show The first time I heard this I was at curling provincials in Glentworth, SK down on the southern border, and it was performed by a high school student during our banquet on the first night. It was before I had a smartphone so I spent the next three days waiting to get back to my computer so I could google the one lyric I could remember so I could find out what song it was!
What songs top your Top 25 Most Played playlist on iTunes?